- Improves fuel economy, acceleration and performance
- Professional formula
- Requires a few simple hand-tools
- As easy to perform as an oil change
Frequently Asked Questions about the Fuel System Tune-Up Kit
The 3M Fuel System Tune-up Kit is a economical solution for achieving professional mechanic grade fuel efficiency and performance out of fuel systems. Made up of three quality 3M automotive products -- 3M Intake System Cleaner, 3M Throttle Plate and Carb Cleaner and 3M Complete Fuel System Cleaner -- together they work to remove carbon, varnishes at soot from all areas of your fuel system. This easy to use tuning system is useable by virtually any would-be mechanic.
Because no engine is 100% efficient, carbon, resins, and varnishes eventually build up in critical engine components, causing a reduction in fuel economy, power and acceleration. Until now car owners needed to pay for a professional fuel system service to remedy this, which can be very costly. But now 3M has provided do-it-yourself consumers with a great new way to get maximum performance from their vehicles from the convenience of their own home garage, for less than ½ the cost of what they would pay for the same results at a service center, with the 3M Fuel System Tune-up Kit.
The 3M Fuel System Tune-up Kit combines the strengths of three quality 3M automotive maintenance products into a single fuel system tune-up program that when performed annually, or every 10,000 miles, will improve vehicle performance and gas mileage. These three products are: 3M Intake System Cleaner, 3M Throttle Plate and Carb Cleaner and 3M Complete Fuel System Cleaner. The steps involved in this process are easy to perform and can feasibly be done by a single person, but are more easily achieved with the aid of an assistant behind the wheel at certain stages.
- Step 1 - 3M Intake System Cleaner: Follow the fresh intake hose to the outside of your engine's throttle body. Remove the hose boot clamp where it enters the throttle body with a screw driver to access the throttle plate. Insert the 3M Intake System Cleaner's attached hose past the throttle plate and slip the intake hose boot back on. With the help of an assistant, start the car engine while the work area is monitored. When the engine idle reaches 500-1,000 RPM, hold steady at this rate and spray the product's contents into the running engine. This process cleans intake manifolds, valves and combustion chambers. Use the entire can, which may take several minutes. Turn off the engine, remove the product hose and proceed to step 2.
- Step 2 - 3M Throttle Plate and Carb Cleaner: Again, with the help of an assistant, place the vehicle ignition in the "Run" position, but with the engine NOT started, and depress the accelerator to expose both sides of the throttle plate. Spray both sides of the plate, as well as the throttle body with 3M Throttle Plate and Carb Cleaner. Wipe excessive cleaner away and/or let wet areas dry for a few minutes with the throttle plate open before you replace the fresh air hose boot, tighten it up. This process cleans your engine's throttle plate and lubricates key pivot areas. Proceed to step 3.
- Step 3 - 3M Complete Fuel System Cleaner: This last step continues the treatment of all critical fuel system components. Add 3M Complete Fuel System Cleaner to a full tank, at a recommended delusion ratio of one ounce of additive to each gallon of fuel. Start the engine, allowing it to idle for a few minutes before driving it for 10-15 minutes. 3M Complete Fuel System Cleaner cleans injectors, intake valves and an combustion chambers while your engine consumes this tank of gas.
PREPARING THE VEHICLE: Inspect the vehicle for illuminated warning lights on the dash. Correct any preexisting conditionsthat are causing illuminated warning lights. Serious emissions and driveability problems (Gross polluter, check engine light, Service EngineSoon, hard miss-fires, overheating catalytic converter, unexpected stalling, etc...) should beproperly and completely diagnosed to determine whether the use of a 3M cleaner is needed to helpresolve or correct the problem. Do not expect these 3M products to cure an unknown emissions,driveability, or loss of fuel economy problem Inspect the engines oil level, top off as needed prior to using these products. Inspect the engines cooling system for leaks, coolant level, and proper cooling system operation, topoff or repair as needed prior to using these products. Inspect the vehicle's entire exhaust system for leaks, deterioration or damage to ensure that adequateexhaust ventilation can be maintained throughout the application of the cleaner. DO NOT use theseproducts if adequate exhaust ventilation cannot be assured or serious personal injury or death canoccur (Carbon Monoxide Poisoning). NOTE: If an oil change is going to be done or if spark plugs or oxygen sensors are going to be replaced, it's recommended that these be replaced AFTER the use of the 3M™ Fuel System Tune-Up Kit.